Friday, November 26, 2021

 I ran into a neighbor at the store and, knowing that I had not supported Mr. Trump, he tried in a good-natured way to tease me about what he thought were failings of the current president, including what he characterized as all the people at the border. I think I said I was fine with all that and he wondered how people can read the same news and come to such different conclusions.

   Well, I’m not sure we actually do “read the same news,” but the more important point, in my opinion, is how we think of and treat God’s children who are not in our immediate circle. The people at the border are God’s children, and our brothers and sisters, just as surely as our children are our children. 

   In reading for this week’s Sunday School lesson, in Section 38 of the Doctrine and Covenants, I was impressed by these verses: “15 Therefore, be ye strong from henceforth; fear not, for the kingdom is yours.

16 And for your salvation I give unto you a commandment, for I have heard your prayers, and the poor have complained before me, and the rich have I made, and all flesh is mine, and I am no respecter of persons.

17 And I have made the earth rich, and behold it is my footstool, wherefore, again I will stand upon it.

18 And I hold forth and deign to give unto you greater riches, even a land of promise, a land flowing with milk and honey, upon which there shall be no curse when the Lord cometh;

19 And I will give it unto you for the land of your inheritance, if you seek it with all your hearts.

20 And this shall be my covenant with you, ye shall have it for the land of your inheritance, and for the inheritance of your children forever, while the earth shall stand, and ye shall possess it again in eternity, no more to pass away.

21 But, verily I say unto you that in time ye shall have no king nor ruler, for I will be your king and watch over you.

22 Wherefore, hear my voice and follow me, and you shall be a free people, and ye shall have no laws but my laws when I come, for I am your lawgiver, and what can stay my hand?

23 But, verily I say unto you, teach one another according to the office wherewith I have appointed you;

24 And let every man esteem his brother as himself, and practice virtue and holiness before me.

25 And again I say unto you, let every man esteem his brother as himself.

26 For what man among you having twelve sons, and is no respecter of them, and they serve him obediently, and he saith unto the one: Be thou clothed in robes and sit thou here; and to the other: Be thou clothed in rags and sit thou there—and looketh upon his sons and saith I am just?”

   I think the Lord wants us to share the bounty with which  he has blessed us with all his children, especially including those at our border desperately seeking escape from desperate conditions in other countries. I believe this is a test of our country’s goodness, and of our goodness, as we choose how to treat Heavenly Father’s children in need.  We will fail that test if we turn away people in need because of selfish, political concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment